In this Post I am going to provide step-by-step procedure to install Microsoft Server 8 Beta (which I have installed on a Citrix Xen VM).
Microsoft has released the Windows Server 8 Beta along with (just a day after) Windows 8 Consumer Preview. As per Microsoft Windows Server 8 provides a scalable, dynamic, and multitenant-aware, cloud-optimized infrastructure. Minimum Requirement to install and run Windows Server 8 Beta is 1.4 GHz 64-bit processor, 512MB of working memory and 32GB free space on a disk.
Following is the configuration of the Cirtix Xen Virtual Machine I have used to install Microsoft Server 8 Beta
CPU (Virtual CPU) = 1 (2.6 GHz)
RAM = 4 GB
HDD = 50 GB
Steps To install Microsoft Windows Server 8
1) Download Window Server 8 Beta ISO from Microsoft website. Burn CD and boot your system (In my case I have booted the VM from ISO using Virtual driver provided my Cirtix).
As soon as VM Booted you will see the New Windows 8 Boot logo
2) Now Windows Server 8 Beta Setup wizard will start and select your language and keyboard settings. Press Next.
3) Click on “Install now” to start the installation process of Windows Server 8
4) Following options will be shown
a) Windows Server 8 Datacenter (Server Core Installation) : – Core installation of windows with UI
b) Windows Server 8 Datacenter (Server with GUI) :- Install with Graphical User Interface. Select this and press Next
5) Accept the license and press Next.
6) Select “Upgrade” as installation type
7) At disk selection if you want to create partitions use “Drive Options” or if you want to use complete disk for OS press Next.
8) Installation of Windows Server 8 Beta will start
9) Server will get rebooted once above process completes and Windows Server 8 will load
10) Set the Administrator password
11) Login screen will appear. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to login
12) Server Manager Dashboard will open as default screen.
I am still checking Windows Server 8 Beta and will post more information about it soon.