In my previous article I have explained Step-by-Step Guide to Install Microsoft Windows Server 8 Beta and today through this article I will tell what I have liked and what didn’t in Windows Server 8.
(Note: This post contain my personal view towards Windows Server 8 and on the basis of what I have checked so far).
Things I liked:
1) Interface: Windows Server 8 got a new interface and they have dropped the traditional interface for messages. The New interface looks more ajax or web based application or windows and also from traditional Grey color theme Windows Server 8 comes with bluish skin which gives a fresh look to the Interface.
2) Server Manager: In Windows Server 2008 Microsoft has introduced a Server Management Interface. Server Manager is a central place to manage server roles and features and many other tools to manage the server.
Server Manager in Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 8 got complete new Look and feel. Tree-like structure of Windows 2008 is replaced by simple selection option where users can configure multiple server and manage them.
3) Task Manager: We haven’t seen many changes in the Task Manager from Windows NT to Windows 2008 but Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 8 got a complete new look along with many functions. Windows Server 2012 is shipped with more Advanced Task Manager which provides more better view of resource consumption by the server. It comes with Color highlight i.e. if any process is using High CPU or RAM the process will be highlighted.
You can Read more about Task Manager at : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/13/the-windows-8-task-manager.aspx
4) Apps: Windows Server 2012 comes with Apps window which is combination of Start Menu and control panel where administrative tools, Windows System tools and Accessories are available on single click.
Things I didn’t liked:
1) Start Menu: Like earlier version of Windows, Windows Server 2012 doesn’t have a start button which made me a bit uncomfortable. Start button is hidden in right hand side panel and to access it you have to hit “Windows key” or mouse over to right bottom corner and when you click on windows logo you will see following screen as start menu which is a bit confusing.
2) Search: Search in Windows Server 2012 is a bit confusion as I tried to search some files but it didn’t worked, might be I am doing something wrong but search is not what you have seen in earlier version where you have flexibility of searching things or setting filters.
At the end I would say that just like a coin have two faces, Windows Server 8 or Windows Server 2012 have some positive and negative features. While using it (whatever I have used till now) I think Microsoft has attempted to make a new generation operating system and they succeeded till some extend also but they have changed many things completely which is going to confuse most of the Microsoft Users.