Since its launch in 2006 Twitter has been growing at an alarming rate. It was originally called as twttr (inspired by Flickr) but later it developed in to Twitter. The first tweet was posted in March 2006 by Jack Dorsey who is now the Chairman of the company. The tweet which he made was “just setting up my twttr.” The twitter universe has grown by leaps and bounds since then and now has a whole list of terms and lingos associated with it.
Essential Twitter Lexicon
- tweet: the 140 character message that you post.
- twittering/tweeting: the act of sending your tweet.
- followers: people you recieve tweets from you.
- following: people from whom you receive tweets.
- retweet: Forwarding a tweet of your followers.
- @: appears before the name of the person whom you are replying to.
- tweep: is a person whom you know on twitter.
- twoops: when a direct message appears in public.
- twitpic: posting a picture to all your followers.
- tweetfeeds: news feeds which you receive straight in your account.
- tweet-up: when two twitter users meet face to face.
- twestival: annual meet of twitterers in major cities around the world.
- twitterverse: the twitter universe.
- twittercize: criticizing someone’s tweets.
- trending: any popular subject which users tweet about.
- #tags: appears before a tweet making trending topics easier to locate.
- twemes: breaks up as twitter memes which are global tags for twitter.
Some Basic tips to Increase your Twitter Follower
- Start #tags’s: Create a loop which other twitterers find interesting and they’ll add on to it.
- Follow Famous twitterers: this will add more value to your tweets and replies.
- Retweet your links and encourage your followers to do the same. This will give your @username and international push.
- Complete your Bio: Its always better to give a brief idea about who you are as your tweets and replies don’t mean much to your followers unless they know more about you.
- Tweet pictures: pics taken from cellphones are heavily retweeted, use twitpic for it.