Introduction to Cloud Computing
My previous article “Understanding Cloud Computing: Explain to me like I’m five” explains the cloud concept in very simple way so that everyone who doesn’t know anything about it can have a basic understanding about it. Now, I am writing this article to take the next step to understand the cloud in better way and to do this I have created a presentation on cloud computing.
The presentation covers various topic related to cloud like what is the history of cloud computing, how the term “Cloud” came into existence, what are different types of cloud available for the end users and how they can use them to host or manage their applications. I have also tried to give the list of top cloud providers under each type of cloud i.e. IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service), PaaS (Platform as a Service) and SaaS (Software as a Service). The presentation also raises the concerns people have in their mind before moving to or opting cloud computing.
What is Cloud?
- Cloud computing is simply a buzzword used to repackage grid computing and utility computing, both of which have existed for decades.” -whatis.com
- Cloud computing is basically a centralized computing technology which involves providing dynamically scalable and often virtualized resources as a service over the Internet
- Cloud server hosting services are delivered from a cluster of network connected servers.
Types of Cloud:
- IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service): Infrastructure as a Service is a model where the service provider provides computer resources like Hardware, networking components, storage etc. in a virtualized environment. Service provider owns the computing resources whereas the client is responsible for Software/Application part.
- PaaS (Platform as a Service): Platform as a Service model of cloud computing provide users a complete infrastructure (compute resources) and solution stack. Clients/consumer creates/deploy their application using the tools provided by the provider and he is also responsible for deployment and configuration settings of the software.
- SaaS (Software as a Service): It is a software distribution model that provides access to software and its functions remotely as a Web-based service. The Software is owned and hosted by the solution provider and consumers are charged on a subscription basis (number of users mainly). In this type of Cloud, consumers/client gets access to the application instantly and they not have to build or deploy anything.
Models of Cloud:
Public Cloud: The cheeseburger example at “Understanding Cloud Computing: Explain to me like I’m five” is an example of public cloud where the service provider serves to various clients all over the world and anyone can use it.
Private Cloud: When any type of cloud computing platform is implemented within (or for) an organization and it’s under the control of their IT Department.
Hybrid Cloud: It’s an integrated cloud services utilizing both Private and Public Clouds to perform certain functions within the organization. E.g. An organization can move the non-sensitive operations or functions on a Public cloud and relay on organizational cloud for critical operations.
Cloud computing is very large topic and can’t be covered in single presentation or session. I am planning to put more presentations related to cloud and if you have any queries/suggestion, please leave them in the comments.