Shopping through Mobile is more Secure?
Have you seen the new ads for online mobile shopping apps from Olx or Flipkart or MakeMyTrip? They say it’s fast and convenient. But did they say it was safe? Believe it or not, they really are.
This is because when mobile payments are done properly, the phone acts as a physical token which locks the purchasing data. This kind of shopping differs from desktop shopping because you use the same account in different computers while on your mobile you use only one account. And if you try to change to another handset then there are certain security checks before you can do so. The software on your smartphone identifies and connects your handset to the payment solution along with the username and password. This is usually not available online.
And if you lose your phone you don’t have to worry about your transaction information getting lost because it is held by back-end systems. Therefore nothing really gets saved on the phone.
But mobile shopping will take a long time to become popular because the consumers have to be convinced that they are safer shopping on the phone than on the laptop or PC. It will take a long time like it did with PC online shopping.
When you start out shopping online there are some things that you have to remember for your own safety.
- Never, ever, connect to public Wi-Fi. It’s not safe and because it’s open anyone can eavesdrop on your purchases and it’s also easy for them to get hold of your personal information.
- There are some online sites which have their own official app on Apple and Android. If that is available, download that and do your shopping from there. It’s guaranteed for its safety and protection from scams.
- If you are using a browser and you have to make payments, make sure that the url says ‘https’ which means that the site has its SSL, secure sockets layer, encryption installed. Therefore it’s safe to shop and pay. Unsecured networks have ‘http’ therefore hackers can very easily get your credit card number any such personal information.
- Avoid scam ads and any such deals from social media. They are mostly made to cheat you. But if you are very sure of the site which has these deals, then check them out first, on your PC preferably, and then shop from your mobiles.
- Make sure that your app is updated; if not make sure your browser is updated. These updates will ensure more security and online sellers will be kept up-to-date for you.
- When paying online, make sure you use trusted payment methods. If you have an option for ‘Cash on Delivery’ then try and opt for that. If not, make sure that the ‘https’ is present and the payment method is trusted.
- Install security software for your phone if you are going to be a regular at mobile shopping.
Shopping on mobiles is a pleasure because it’s fast and easy, and with the coming of age technology you are sure to have a safe shopping experience. Luckily in India, there are many online stores which have released apps in iOS and Android for shopping, like Flipkart, Snapdeal, Amazon, Olx and eBay. They are regularly updated and very frequently used by consumers!
You can check out dealstan.com and find some coupons which you can use while shopping at you favourite site!