Recently I have worked on a project where I have to stream a video on Internet which will be then accessed by the Servers on different locations and those servers will then stream the same video to the sub-ordinate systems simultaneously. Using this we can reduce the Load on Main Streaming Server as well as we can save lot of bandwidth as if all the server/systems connect to the Main server directly bandwidth usage of both the server and the client will be very high.
1) Video will be streamed from a Server on Internet.
2) Many other Servers will connect to the Server.
3) These servers will then stream the same video on their network (e.g. on LAN).
4) Users of local system will access the video from secondary servers.
Following image can explain the Scenario in a better way
Step to Stream Video on Primary Server
Following are the steps to stream a video on Primary Server which can be located on remoter location.
1) Login to the Server and install VLC on it.
2) Open VLC Media Player
3) Go to Media >> Streaming
4) Now add the file which you want to stream and Press Stream
5) Source: On Stream Output screen it will show the Source file; press Next to continue
6) Destination: Add HTTP as new destination which will automatically run on port 8080 and you can activate trans-coding as well. Press Next to continue.
7) Others: You will see miscellaneous options which you can select as per your requirement. Press Stream to start Streaming.
8) VLC will start streaming the Video which you have mentioned.
In Next Article I will explain How to setup Secondary Server and clients to watch live streaming